- Territorial History
The Utah State Law Library has existed in some form since the Utah Territory was established. In fact, Congress appropriated $5000 for the library in the same enabling act that created the territory.
It took a couple of years for the collection to be purchased, and in 1852 the territorial legislature created the position of territorial librarian, with an annual salary of $400 and an $150 for contingent expenses.
In 1890 the legislature broke up the library’s collection, directing books “more useful to the University library” be given to the University of Deseret (today's University of Utah). Only the law-related books remained in the collection.Utah State Library
When Utah became a state in 1896 the Territorial Library became the State Library.
Utah State Law Library
In 1957 the legislature changed the name of the library from the State Library to the State Law Library, and established a new, separate State Library.
The Mormon Pioneer National Heritage Area (MPNHA) spans 250 miles (400 km) within central and southern Utah, mostly along a corridor followed by scenic byways U.S. Highway 89 and Utah State Route 24, and the half-loop of Utah State Route 12, which is Utah’s only All-American Road. It was established by the U.S. Congress to commemorate the...
Scott & Welch was an architectural partnership of Carl W. Scott (born 1887) and George W. Welch (born 1886) in Utah. They designed schools, libraries, and other buildings that were built by New Deal programs. A number of their works are listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).
Welch served in the Utah House of...
Bibliographical Center for Research was a library cooperative and regional libraries network. Its members included over 8000 libraries in an 11-state region (Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming) of the western United States. BCR was created in 1935 and was the nation’s oldest and most...